The use of laptops in recent years has become an inevitable daily occurrence for many who work in their offices, at home, in school, etc. both for academics, business, arts, and any other thing you could think of. Undoubtedly, laptop computers are now used more than we use desktop computers because of their compact and flexible feature that makes it easy to carry while on the go: it is also used for mobile working.
In offices and places of work, your teams use laptops as well as tablets, because they are regularly on the move. And laptops and tablets are indeed very practical because they are much easier to carry than that of a desktop. However, by mode of using them, you or your employees may start to suffer back pain, especially when you work with them long. Thus, the best way to improve the ergonomic condition of working with a laptop computer, as well as productivity, is to invest in a simple and inexpensive solution: the laptop desk or laptop stand.
This is because a laptop computer does not easily adjust to your body type, as the screen is not adjustable and the handling of the keyboard, as well as the mouse, is restrictive. Hence, working on a laptop promotes a hunched posture that causes pain in the neck and shoulders. So, do you need to get rid of your laptop? No need! A laptop stand is the right accessories that will ultimately contribute to a comfortable workstation.
Why Use A Laptop Desk When Working
You may not understand how a laptop desk or laptop stand can be of benefit to you and that of your employees. However, this accessory is essential to create better ergonomics at work. Indeed, it allows you to hold a better position, which is very important to prevent back pain and improve productivity. If you sit down facing a laptop on a table, for instance, you will find out that you have to look down to view the screen. If it is only for a few minutes, that is manageable but for a long time, you may develop neck pain. If your posture is not optimal when working, the pain will appear sooner or later.
The laptop stand is ideal because it allows you to position the screen in front of your eyes – no need to bend down unnecessarily. All you have to do is install an ergonomic keyboard so that you can type your work documents more easily.
One may ask; what about those who use a tablet? It is even more important to use a laptop desk on your table while working with your laptop. If you put the tablet flat on a desk while typing a message, your posture will be even worse for your neck and your spine. While the laptop desk will allow you to have the screen in front of your eyes without having to bend your neck or even hold your tablet in hand. You can also use an ergonomic keyboard to further optimize your way of working on a daily basis.
Benefits of Using Laptop Desk
Studies have shown that using a laptop for more than 2 hours a day significantly increases the risk of disorders. Thus, the benefits of using a laptop desk or laptop stand are immense from an ergonomic point of view, as it ensures your working comfort on a laptop. Some of these benefits include;
- Brings the Laptop Screen to Eye Level: A laptop desk or laptop stand allows the screen to be raised to the correct height. They are designed for both fixed and mobile stations, single height or adjustable, integrated, or attached to a monitor arm. You are therefore spoiled for choice, as you can choose according to the nature of your work.
- Improves Typing Ergonomics: Most of the built-in keyboard on most laptops are not totally ergonomic for a long time working. While using an external ergonomic keyboard can easily fix this problem for many people, the laptop screen often creates another bigger problem, as it makes you bend to look at the screen and you also have to push the laptop far from your eyes. Hence, the use of a laptop desk allows you to use an ergonomic keyboard without having to push your laptop far from you and yet have the screen positioned to your eye level.
- Prevents Overheating and Improves Laptop Performance: It is obvious that laptops are more likely to overheat when they are kept directly on the table while working than when they are on an ergonomic laptop stand that creates space for air circulation under the laptop. The laptop desk will even make a laptop that overheats to have minimal heating and function more effectively.
- For Multi-Purpose Uses: Laptop desk is one accessory that can be used for virtually anything you do with a laptop, no matter the position you are. You can use a laptop stand to ergonomically position your laptop computer while working on the table, sitting in your bed, in your car while on the move, etc.: a multi-purpose workstation. Not just that, you can use it for reading or as a standing desk: ideal for reading, working, relaxing in bed, or lounging on a sofa or couch.
How to Choose Your Laptop Desk
Laptop desk for mobile or stationary workstations is easily transportable. However, it is advisable when buying to pay attention to certain criteria such as adjustment limit, stability, size, and weight. It would be a painful purchase to risk the appearance and ergonomic benefits of your workstation because of a laptop desk that is too low or too heavy. Therefore, your laptop desk should at least feature;
- The height of the support must be adjustable. Indeed, we all have a different morphology and we do not necessarily work on office tables that are height adjustable. If you choose a laptop stand that is adjustable in height, you will be able to truly adjust the stand so that your PC screen is perfectly aligned with your eyes.
- Ideally, you should choose a stand made from strong and lightweight materials. If you choose an item that is too fragile, it may get damaged too easily in a mobile situation. And if it is too heavy, it will simply be difficult to transport it: it would be a shame if you do not dare to take your laptop stand with you while on the go.
If you pay attention to these two criteria, you will be able to find good quality materials that will allow you to effectively fight back pain when working with a laptop for long.